March is National Nutrition Month and here are a few tasty and healthy ideas, good for entertaining as well as a special treat for your family! Low in fat and calories but big on taste! Enjoy and check back next week for some Irish recipes for St. Patty's Day! Please pass these ideas onto family and friends.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus trimmed and cut into one inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp minced fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce (more if prefer)
- In ½ inch of water, bring trimmed asparagus to a boil then reduce heat and cook until fork tender (about 5-7 minutes).
- Drain asparagus very well and place in food processor or blender with the onion and garlic; blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients then add the asparagus mixture and combine. Chill.
- Serve with raw veggies or tortilla chips.
Strawberry Balsamic Chicken
- 3 to 4 Tbs. light olive oil
- 4 boneless,skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/4tsp pepper
- 1/3c finely chopped almonds
- 1/4 c minced green onions
- 1/3 c chicken broth
- 1/3 c sugar free strawberry preserves
- 3Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1Tbs chopped fresh rosemary or 1tsp. dried rosemary,crumbled
- 1 pkg.(10oz) fresh spinach, cooked
- In a large skillet, heat oil over med.-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper; dredge in almonds. Place chicken in oil ;cook 5 about mins on each side or till no longer pink. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Saute the green onions about a min. Add the chicken broth, preserves, vinegar and rosemary. Simmer, uncovered, till slightly thickened, about 3 mins. Place warm spinach on a serving platter and top with chicken. Pour the balsamic sauce over top & sprinkle with parsley.
Now let's go to dessert...
Fresh Fruit Fondue
Ingredients for fondue
*1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen strawberries, thawed
*1/2 tsp. lemon juice
*1/4 c light cream
*1 tsp. cornstarch
Blend all ingredients in blender, transfer to saucepan and cook on medium heat
till slightly thick, put in fondue pot to serve.
Cut fresh fruit of choice ( I use melons, pineapple and strawberries) into chunks using fondue forks or skewers to dip (try angel food cake cubes , marshmallows, and lady fingers as well).
Remember next week we go IRISH!